Visit http://bit.ly/13ZoI60 to access the recording of the May 20 webinar.
Some important issues to mention:
- games: games are fun and include story, character, goal, obstacules, feedback, levels.
- game mechanics vs learning principles.
- multiple intelligences.
- flow theory.
- video with interventions from James Gee and Clark Aldrich, among others.
- types of games: simple games, simulated environments and adventure worlds (benefits, limitations of each).
- gamification as the concept of applying game-design thinking to non-game applications to make them more fun and engaging.
An interesting quote:
The worst thing kids can say about a homework is that it's too hard. The worst thing they can say about a game is that it's too easy (Dr. Henry Jenkins).
In short, the presentation is interesting but adds nothing really new.