Some recent links about gamification of education:
- 4 Ways To Bring Gamification of Education To Your Classroom (from TopHat): some ways to use gamification in the classroom.
"Games, in any form, increase motivation through engagement. Nowhere else is this more important than education."
" ... gamification in learning is the use of game mechanics to ‘gamify’ content to engage and entice users by encouraging and rewarding use."
"What does the successful application of gamification in e-learning look like?
1. Gamification isn’t about games, but the learners.
2. It isn’t about knowledge but behaviour.
3. It extracts the motivational techniques out of games and uses them for life-applicable learning.
4. It allows quick feedback of progress and communications of goals that need to be accomplished."
... and a new definition for gamification in learning contexts, from Razvan Rughinis in Gamification for Productive Interaction, Reading and Working with the Gamification Debate in Education (see this other post) presented at CISTI 2013 (proceedings available):
"Gamification in learning contexts represents simple gameplay to support productive interaction for expected types of learners and instructors."